Nest Thermostat High Voltage Hack | Installation [High Voltage Conversion]

I am a licensed electrician that specializes in commercial building automation, lighting controls, fire alarm and security systems. I enjoy my work and these type of gadgets intrigue me.


My Home:
I live in a townhouse style of condo which has 3 thermostats that controls a local 240v unit heater. It's about 1,100 sqft and was built in the 80's.


My Problem:
Programmable line voltage thermostats are expensive and "smart" thermostats do not exist.

WARNING: THE FOLLOWING CONTENT IS FOR INFORMATIONAL PURPOSES ONLY



My Solution:
Parts:
Aube 240v Relay (RC840T-240) - integrated 24v transformer (C, W, R)
Wiremold 2G Box (BW32)
2G Blank Cover
Nest Thermostat
18” 18awg wire


Tools:
Screwdriver
Tweaker Screwdriver
Wire Strippers
Volt Meter


Step 1a-
Pulled the old thermostat and confirmed voltage
Most wall heaters should be 208v or 240v. I took notes on which wires I measure voltage (line side).


Step 1b-
Disconnect the power.


Step 2a-
I put holes in the 2G cover plate to match the wall plate adapter.
I don’t know if I needed the “horizontal” holes cut but it could't hurt… (Although I can see the edges if you know what to look for)

P1020079.JPG.jpg


Step 2b-
Mount the Nest backplate to the drilled out cover plate


P1020083.JPG.jpg
P1020084.JPG.jpg
Step 3-
Install the wiremold backplate
The box has several knock outs on the back, specifically mounting it onto a 1G box. This adapts the 1G into something larger to hold the relay AND something to put the thermostat onto.


Step 4-
Install the relay
Line (Incoming power)
Load (Heater)


Step 5-
Mount the wiremold box


Step 6a-
Wire the backplate/ cover plate
R/W/C are on a terminal block on the relay, use your tweaker


Step 6b-
Mount the backplate/ cover plate


Step 7-
Turn power back on


Step 8-
Plug-in the thermostat


Step 9-
Configure!

IMG_20140109_212110 (2).jpg

I'm sorry about missing a few photos... my phone wasn't cooperating and I didn't realize it until I was putting this together.

My Thoughts:
It's kinda nice. Unit heaters aren't efficient at all but the remote control and the early start is kinda nice. I doubt i'm saving energy (or money).

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous2/24/2015

    Excellent contribution for informational purposes.

    I would have hoped for Nest to produce its own version of a 120/240V adapter socket that fits nicely underneath the Nest thermostat and provides both a compact transformer and relay to switch the electrical heater. There are so many apartments / condos that have these stand-alone heaters that look like 19th century technology and are eagerly waiting for a smart thermostat.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous5/12/2018

    I read this paragraph completely about the difference of most up-to-date and
    earlier technologies, it's amazing article.

    ReplyDelete